GRIEF & BEREAVEMENT VOLUNTEER
Volunteers assist with and/or co-facilitate bereavement support groups for seniors, adults, teens & children. Advanced training is also available for 1:1 grief companioning. There is an opportunity for teens aged 13+ to be “Teen Buddies” in the Children’s Bereavement Group. A modified application applies to Teen Buddy Volunteers. Please speak with coordinator for details.
Time committment: 2 - 3 hours per week for 8-week groups 1-2 times per year.
Process to Become a Grief & Bereavement Volunteer
1. Review our website and familiarize yourself with what we do.
2. Complete the VOLUNTEER APPLICATION FORM
3. Contact HHCH to make arrangements for an interview with staff. Provide coordinator with your completed application form. Be prepared to answer questions about why you wish to volunteer, what you will be able to contribute, and please be familiar and comfortable with or willing to learn about the type of support we provide.
4. Reference checks will be completed by coordinator.
5. Volunteer will be registered by HHCH staff for Core Concepts Training which is held throughout the year. Volunteer will also attend specialized bereavement training.
6. Volunteer will need to obtain a “Police Vulnerable Sector Check” through York Region Police www.yrp.ca (fee to be paid by volunteer).
7. Upon completion of Core Concepts, volunteer will attend a HHCH Orientation and Physical Skills. Volunteers will also complete group facilitation training, if required.
8. Volunteers are asked to complete at least two continuing education sessions or volunteer meetings offered by HHCH and/or in the community on an annual basis.